By: Kris Robinson
In his book, Detours, Pastor Dr. Tony Evans asks the question, “Is there something in your life that has happened which can only be explained that is was done by God?”
Now, if you were a shepherd, approximately in the years of 6-4 B.C., then your answer would be “YES!”; pick up the story @
Luke 2:8-14 (NIV) – “And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.””
For some Christians, they’ve had moments where they can definitively speak of when God moved; as the Shepherds could & did. For others, it may take some hindsight to look back and see how things developed in life for them to say, “that was definitely God and not me!” It is different for everyone!
For myself, I like to think similarly of my ‘something that has happened’ to that of Chip Ingram & C.S. Lewis; the latter being, ‘I could not help but believe’, nor can I still. Additionally, Chip in his new book, Why I Believe, offers evidence for the Resurrection and gives this point; of which I can say as well:
“The final evidence for me is a very personal one. It is what the resurrected Jesus has done in my life… He radically changed my life, my values, my priorities, and my family!”
So, looking back on the sermon Pastor Dr. Willis preached; he asks some questions to help determine what that ‘something in your life that has happened’ means to you, as it did for the rest of the characters in Luke 2:
- Is there something in your life, done only by God, that helps bring out your best for Him? (Luke 2:8)
- Read Gen. 50:20; what was intended for harm that God intended to accomplish His purpose?
- Is there something in your life, done only by God, that helps bring about obedience to God? (Luke 2:9-15)
- Read John 15:12; His love for us is undeserving, so how might you return the favor?
- Is there something in your life, done only by God, that brings excitement to your life? (Luke 2:16)
- Read Daniel 12:3; to shine like the brightness of the heavens and stars forever and ever, how is that not exciting?
- Is there something in your life, done only by God, that helps you be a witness for Him? (Luke 2:17-18)
- Read 2 Tim. 2:15; He gave His best for us, couldn’t we do the same?
- Is there something in your life, done only by God, that you praise Him for? (Luke 2:19-20)
- Read Psalm 145:1-2; I find it hard to believe that we can give so much time to our phones and not the One who created us and wants the best for us!
We’ve all got a story to tell; what about going to the FLCC Facebook page and telling it?
Kris Robinson is an Assistant Pastor at Free Life Community Church helping teenagers & Millennials connect & transform their spiritual journey through Christ Jesus.