Jesus’ Prayer for His Followers
- He prayed that we would be protected. (v. 11)
- Christ prayed that this protection would be under the authority and Name of God.
- Christians have an obligation to keep themselves within the authority of God and Christ. (John 15:4-5; Col. 3:17; Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:22-23)
- Jesus’ prayer proves we cannot be protected unless:
- He prayed that we would have joy. (v. 13)
- Entirely too many people think of Jesus only in terms of solemnness or sorrow. (Isaiah 53:3)
- His joy was not based on external conditions or circumstances.
- True disciples have that same joy.
- He prayed that we would be Sanctified. (v. 17)
- Christ must be sanctified in our heart as Lord and ruler of life. (1 Pet. 3:15)
- Jesus’ prayer reveals way for us to be sanctified.
- He prayed that we might be ONE. (Just as He and the Father are ONE.) (vv. 20-21)
- There is only one way.
- We must strive for unity. (Eph. 4:1-3)