Are you a Teachable Leader?
By Kris Robinson
Daniel 4:1-37; emphasizing v.30 & vv.31-37
Contextually, this is the last chapter with King Nebuchadnezzar. God is dealing with his arrogance and gives the king a dream (vv. 1-18), Daniel interprets it (vv.19-27) and, 12 months later, (vv. 28-33) Nebuchadnezzar still shows why he is one of the most arrogant leaders in history;
Dan. 4:30 (NIV)
“Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”
So, God removes him from his pedestal and drives him into the wilderness to live like an animal; long hair & fingernails, grass and other animal dietary items were his food, and he dwelt in caves and dirt shelters until he learned that God is the Supreme Ruler, “that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone He wishes” (v.32).
John Maxwell asks a couple questions; “Are you a teachable leader? Do you want to dictate the people or circumstances from whom you will learn, or will you learn from anyone? Here are 6 characteristics Maxwell gives of a person who develops a teachable spirit:
- (v.37) Grateful Words: “Now I, King Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt glorify the King of heaven, because everything He does is right and all His ways are just.
- (v.34) Hungry Mind: “I raised my eyes to heaven, and my sanity was restored.”
- (v.34-35) Big-Picture Perspective: Nebuchadnezzar saw things from a new perspective and larger viewpoint.
- (vv.34-37) Dissatisfaction w/ The Present: The king was never content with status quo; even more so afterward
- (v.37b) Humble Heart: The king expressed humility regarding his own importance and power
- (v.36b) Magnetic Spirit: The king once more attracted nobles and counselors.
Maxwell offers advice on how to improve teach-ability:
- Don’t believe your own press – “Don’t get distracted by your achievements.”
- Observe how you react to mistakes.
- Try something new – Challenge changes us for the better
- Grow in the area of your strength.
Kris Robinson is an Assistant Pastor at Free Life Community Church helping teenagers & Millennials connect & transform their spiritual journey through Christ Jesus.